I get really excited whenever I have the opportunity to work on Festivals and Outdoor Events. I love organising conferences; that is definitely my forte, however it is always good to have a change from the norm. In my opinion the more varied your event management experiences the better, more rounder Event Manager you become as a result. As the festival season approaches here are my top ten reasons why I love working on festivals and outdoor events:
1. Festivals and outdoor events are something out of the ordinary, different to an everyday experience. To me this is what life is about – living and experiencing things out of the norm.
2. You get to observe people experience something special and out of the ordinary. Festivals are great for people watching!
4. Often I have a specific role within a bigger picture, working as part of a team. It is nice to work within a chain of command sometimes, rather then being in overall control. It also gives me the opportunity to learn from others that are experts managing this type of event.
5. Festivals and outdoor events have a completely different vibe to them – not at all formal or corporate like the conferences I generally run!
6. I have been lucky enough to work on some great events with big name performers. It is always exciting to be in on the back stage gossip! (though my lips are sealed!)
7. It is unusual to get to go to work in jeans/casual suitable clothing but depending on the role this is often the most practical attire!
8. At some festivals and events I even get to wear my wellies (and I adore my wellies!)
10. It is really special seeing thousands of people enjoying an experience you helped to create. That is what being an event manager is all about!
Do you work on festivals and outdoor events? What do you enjoy the most? I would love to hear your comments below.